Criminology Course Overview
CMI is the first educational institute in Ireland to offer a Criminology Certificate QQI level 5 minor course that leads to an Advanced Diploma in CSI and Forensic Science which is endorsed by the world renowned Chartered Society of Forensic Science (UK).
This fascinating Criminology course covers the scientific study of crime, including its causes, responses by law enforcement, penology, bio-criminology, feminist criminology and the study of crime detection.
You will learn the characteristics of a range of stakeholders associated with crime prevention to include Garda Siochana, the courts, the probation service, the director of public prosecutions and support services.
Delivered by Criminal Barristers working in the Criminal courts.
The following key topics are covered:
1. Crime, criminology and what does it involve, role of criminologist.
2. Understand penology and different theories of criminology
3. Structure of the Criminal Justice System
4. Link between drug use and crime
5. Sentencing and imprisonment
6. Gender and Crime; Feminist criminologist theory; Strain, Control and Biological theory
7. Methods of recording crime, CSO and Media Statistics
8. Criminal Justice Act 1984 and The Criminal Assets Bureau Act 1996
9. Modern day phenomenon of white collar crime